Hi friends 🙂
As I was running the other day i realized how much I ‘ve missed strength training. We were quite busy around here last week, so even though i put in my planned milage for the week cross-training did suffer a little. So yesterday evening since my training plan called for an active rest day it was the perfect opportunity to drop down and get some reps of my favourite strength training exercises in 😀
I like to mix it up so i will not get bored and these exercises are the perfect mix for me!
– Russian twists and holds
- 4 twist and then hold both legs off the floor for 20-30 seconds (repeat 5 times)
– Squat on the toes
Do a regular squat (use a kettle-bell for a more challenging workout) and then when coming up stay on your toes for about 5 seconds. This is an awesome strength exercise for glute and calf muscles. Repeat 15-20 times.
– Curl lunges
I really enjoy lunges (said no one ever 😀 LOL!!!). So here is a way to get a little bit more out of them;
- Do a forward lunge and then 5 reps of tricep curls.
- Step back.
- Do a forward lunge with other leg and 5 reps of tricep curls with other arm.
- Repeat sequence 5 times.
– Raised leg bridges
- This is a normal bridge but only one leg is on the floor. The other is raised in a straight line. Do 10-15 repeats on each leg. Rest for 20 – 30 seconds and repeat 3 times.
– Plank & Side plank
Planks are a runner’s best friend!! During a plank you simultaneously work your arms, core, butt and legs!!
- Do a side plank for ~20-30 seconds on its side
- Finish strong by holding a normal plank for as long as you can!!!
You can repeat the whole work out from 3-5 times depending on how much time you have and your level of endurance.
Finally, don’t forget to have fun and enjoy it!! Exercising is all about being healthy and working towards a better you! Never compare yourself to anyone else but the you from yesterday. Here is me rocking my “sweaty silly smiley face” and “superman – look at those biceps” looks 😛 after a really cool workout!!
Disclaimer: I am not a licensed personal trainer neither a sports specialist. Consult your physician if you are unsure as per your ability to undertake these exercises. I am JUST a fitness-nut that likes to share my workouts.