Hi all 🙂
As promised I am back, and no it’s not May or June already LOL its still 2017 so it didn’t take THAT long this time…
I ‘ve read so many great and interesting year recaps from fellow blogger so I thought I should join the party and also share a few things that you probably didn’t know till now.
2017 SUCKED! Majorly…
Lets recap shall we?
@dad_taleoftworuns got cancer… twice… #cancersucks!
We lost a good friend to cancer… #cancersucks!
Found out in February that I can’t run anymore… like AT ALL ever.
One of our closest friends had a MAJOR health scare…
Kinda gave up on myself, let my anxiety and feeling of being useless rule me and started smoking/drinking/eating my feelings away which lead to me gaining 20+ lbs (10kg)
Spent 4 months working away from the lab (had to be in Greece) and my work/research took a huge blow (along with my self-esteem and feelings)…
So, all that being said… I am still GRATEFUL for 2017. It taught me important and valuable lessons that I will never forget.
1) that family is one of the most important things out there. Yes, i intuitively knew that but being away from my family for more than 10 years I guess i needed a … reminder. Also, I got to know them all over again these 4 months I spent back there. Growing up I ‘ve spent all of my adult years away from my family and they ‘d only see me once a year for about a week. This means that they didnt really know who I’d become growing up. Of course I am NOT ok with the fact that dad got sick bit I am grateful for the fact that I managed to spent all this time with them and get to know them (and vice versa) all over again. And you know what I realized? My family is cool 😀 especially my mum! Totally loved hanging out with her! And I can’t wait for her to come visit in a few days!! For the record dad is all A-OK now! It was a very VERY tough year for him – and us – but he is a hell of a fighter and kicked cancers butt!!!
2) If you want something bad enough you ‘ll find a way to make it happen! Sounds cheesy?? I know… but it is SO true! My work did take a blow and I did get tired AF but i managed. My analysis got done in time (my boss was an angel for letting me work from home for such a long time, can’t thank her enough!)
3) If you want some thing bad enough #2. After the summer and after I managed to get back on my feet I dropped the pounds like a boss… 🙂
4) there is NO SHAME in asking for help! I ‘ve been away for so long that it is a given that I’d been through some hard situations (mostly by myself) and I was always OK with that. Also I am a scientist which means I solve problems for a living. But one thing that i ‘d never been through until 2017 is being unable to help/solve a problem when needed, is feeling useless and helpless when someone I care about is in need. Well I think that’s what totally broke my back this year… Thankfully @mymamus kicked my butt all the way to a therapist’s office (trust me I didn’t do this willingly at first) but honestly? BEST thing I could’ve done. Listening to a totally unbiased perspective – priceless!
5) Friends! No matter where in the world the good ones ALWAYS stay ❤ Also, you never when or where you might make a new friend that will be one of those special people in your life.
6) I can NOT run. Ok cried/complained/mopped enough over it. Now, what’s next? I learnt that (even though I miss running A LOT) there is always something. And in the next year I am totally ready to try as many new fitness related things as I can 😀
7) And finally, the thing I am most grateful for… this man right here. He has been alongside me for more than 3 years now, through thick and thin and hard and tough and easy and happy and sad and it ALL! I couldn’t have gone through this year with out him ❤ And yes, I know I am lucky to have him!
So yes, even though 2017 wasn’t an easy year (of course I know there are waaay worse problems out there)… I am grateful that it happened and even more grateful that (mostly) it ended on a good note. This might not be your usual year recap – especially for a fitness blog – but it’s mine and its all I got 🙂
… and one last thing…
BRING IT ON 2018 ❤ 😀 😉